Monday 18 April 2016

Using Games During Revision Lessons

Question:  Do you try and get students to remember subject content by reviewing a section with them and then trying the same old methods ie.  Getting students to make notes or mindmaps or try something different?  While I would be the first to sing about the merits of using exam questions, ramming question after question down students necks can be soul destroying and turns them off to the subject at the very point when you need them to be turned on.  

So this year (an I'll admit it helps that I've had my Y11's since Y7) I'm trying something different.   Before I carry on I will state that my Y11's are covering lots of revision content at home and during lunch time revision sessions.  What I have tried out quiet successfully, is using revision games during lessons.  Most of them are based around the students having information on a particular topic then playing a game were they answer questions on that particular topic.  Some of the games I have used are:

  1. Snakes & Ladders
  2. Battleships
  3. Blockbusters
  4. Revision Racing
  5. Dice Boards
  6. Card Games
  7. 7 Monkeys
  8. Treasure Hunt




If we keep trying the same old things, we'll keep getting the same old results, so take a risk, try something different and you might be surprised with the results!

Good look with the exams this year

No comments:

Post a Comment