Sunday 11 September 2016

Using large models to teach complex ideas



Ask yourself "if you could teach a complex idea in any way you can think of how would you do it?"  The answer that I always come up with is to use huge holographic models that you could interact with and students could move around.  Not being a tech guru, or having as much money as Batman to play with, I realize that this dream is still a long way away.  So after a lot of thought, the idea I stumbled into is to get around this is to use large 2D models, laid out in the centre of the room, that you can use with students.  I have now been using this technique to teach students complex linked ideas, and the progress it has helped students make never fails to amaze me.


Don't reinvent the wheel!  The start point to any of the models I have used is to see what other diagrams are already out there.  This could involve looking at google, in books, or the most useful source I use is to look at what's on Youtube to explain complex ideas.  After I've found a diagram that I think I can turn into a large model I use it to create a concept map to plan out what I need to include as shown below:






Around the diagram I arrange all of the information that students need to know about a particular concept and then, number the pieces of information that students need to be able to explain a concept.



After you've planned out your model you can start on the fun part, constructing your model.  Within reason you can make your model out of whatever you want, but it's worth bearing in mind that you are going to have to store it, so don't make the individual pieces too big.  Finally, to enable students to get the most out of this activity, produce a A3 sheet with the diagram on that students can annotate as you work around the concept.  Below I have included some photos of some of the models I have used.



Light dependent reaction of photosynthesis





Light independent reaction of photosynthesis





How tissue fluids form





How a leaf is adapted for photosynthesis





Thanks for reading



Chalky 


No comments:

Post a Comment